girls

girls

Sunday, December 16, 2012

St. Nicholas Day - Observed on December 4th


St. Nicholas Day is a German holiday where children put a shoe outside their bedroom doors on the eve of Saint Nicholas Day, and hope to find candy, coins and maybe a small gift in them on Dec. 6. Now, I am not exactly sure why my family always recognized this holiday growing up (maybe our traces of German heritage?), but non the less, it is something that I always looked forward to as a child!

When I was young, we would decorate the Christmas tree, as the smell of cookies wafted in the air and holiday music filled the room! Once the tree was finished we would sprawl out beneath it on the floor with a cup of hot cocoa and scribble down our Christmas lists (or novels!) for Santa. Once complete, we would fold them up and, as the tradition goes, leave them in our shoe with a piece of fruit and place them in the window for Santa to receive. When we awoke the next day, Santa had always left us a special ornament, with which we would hang on the miniature "personal" faux Christmas trees that lit up our rooms.

I have always looked forward to sharing this tradition with my children! This year we had to celebrate a couple of days early, as we were going to be out of town, so we spoke with Santa and he was kind enough to make a special arrangement and come to our house a day early.  Items on Ellie's "list" this year were pretty simple (I think we should savor these days!)... anything princess and "Dora stuff"! Olivia just wants the tissue and boxes ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment